The cleanser, the purifier, the renewer.
It is all around us and within us.
It is formless, yet soft and cool to the touch.
It is highly influential + adaptable, with the ability to take on any shape, temperature, or movement imposed on it
It is controlled by the moon, whose gravitational forces dictate the ocean tides and large scale movement.
It dictates our existence, controlling life on a cellular level.
It is mysterious and contains unknown worlds below its surface.
It can be calm and peaceful or dangerous and volatile.
It is the vital liquid which sustains us all.
Our fourth and final element in this series is Water. The Water element is arguably the most important and most detailed of the four elements.
It has been long revered across nearly every society since the beginning our existence. Humans and other animals have congregated and built lives + societies around water, as it is vital to our existence. Aside from keeping us and our societies alive, water is known for its purifying and renewing energy (physically, emotionally, and spiritually). On a deeper level, it represents our emotions, connections with others, varying states of consciousness, and all things unknown.
Below is an extensive list of the WATER element correspondences. This comprehensive list is one that I've compiled over the years from multiple sources and personal experiences. Feel free to use what feels right for you and omit what does not resonate.
- ZODIAC: Cancer, Pisces, Scorpio
- DIRECTION: West
- SEASON: Autumn
- TIME OF DAY: Dusk
- MOON PHASE: Waning Moon
- PLANETARY RULERS: Moon, Neptune, Pluto
- COLORS: Aqua, blue, black, gray, green, indigo, lilac, purple, silver, turquoise, violet, white
- SENSE: Taste
- TAROT: Cups, The High Priestess, The Chariot, The Hanged Man, Death, The Moon, Judgement
- SYMBOLS: Cup, chalice, cauldron, seashells, sea glass, mirrors
- PLACES: Beaches, bathtubs, creeks, fountains, glaciers, lakes, oceans, ponds, rivers, showers, springs, streams, waterfalls, wells
- HERBS: Aloe, aster, blackberry, bramble, burdock, camphor, cardamom, catnip, chamomile, comfrey, datura, feverfew, foxglove, gardenia, geranium, grape, heather, hellebore, hemlock, hemp, henbane, hibiscus, hyacinth, ivy, jasmine, lady's slipper, lemon balm, meadowsweet, moonwort, myrrh, passionflower, periwinkle, poppy, raspberry, spearmint, sandalwood, skullcap, spikenard, star anise, thyme, valerian, vanilla, yarrow
- TREES: Alder, apple, ash, aspen, beech, birch, cedar, cherry, elder, elm, hazel, horse chestnut, locust, magnolia, mesquite, mimosa, myrtle, olive, poplar, spruce, sycamore, willow, witch hazel, yew
- FLOWERS: Belladonna, columbine, cowslip, crocus, cuckoo-flower, daffodil, daisy, freesia, gardenia, geranium, iris, jasmine, lilac, lily, lotus, magnolia, morning glory, narcissus, orchid, pansy, plumeria, poppy, rose, sweetpea, violet, water lily, ylang-ylang
- PRODUCE: Apple, apricot, avocado, banana, blackberry, cabbage, caper, cherry, coconut, cucumber, grape, huckleberry, lemon, lettuce, melons, papaya, peach, pear, plum, raspberry, strawberry, sugar cane, tomato, vanilla
- CRYSTALS: Amethyst, ametrine, angelite, aquamarine, beryl, blue lace agate, blue topaz, calcite, coral, fluorite, jade, jet, labradorite, lapis lazuli, lepidolite, lodestone, moonstone, opal, pearl, quartz, rose quartz, sapphire, selenite, sodalite, tourmaline, turquoise
- METALS: Copper, mercury, silver
- ANIMALS: Bat, beaver, cattle, crab, crocodile, dolphin, fish, frog, hippo, manatee, otter, polar bear, seal, toad, turtle, seahorse, nearly all sea creatures and crustaceans
- BIRDS: Albatross, blackbird, cormorant, crane, dove, duck, heron, penguin, seagull, stork, swan, swift, all water fowl
- DIETIES - keep in mind that there are water deities that represent nearly every ocean, sea, and major river across the world. These deities below represent water and general bodies of water.
- GODS: Aruna, Azbu, Ægir, Ea, Khnum, Manannán mac Lir, Llŷr, Mazu, Mimir, Morskoi, Neptune, Nereus, Njörðr, Osiris, Olóòkun (Olokun), Poseidon, Varuna
- GODDESSES: Agwé, Amphitrite Aphrodite, Atlacamani, Chalchiuhtlicue, Coventina, Diana, Galene, Isis, Kupala, Nāmaka, Ọṣun (Oshun), Rán, Sedna, Tiamat, Yemọja (Yemaja)
- THEMES + ENERGIES: adaptability, agriculture, balance, change, clairvoyance, compassion, consciousness, creativity, desire, divination, dream work, death, emotions, empathy, fertility, fluidity, friendship, grace, healing, heartbreak, influence, introspection, intuition, life, love, lunar energy, marriage, memories, nourishment, the Otherworld, protection, psychic ability, purification, purity, rebirth/renewal, reconciliation, reflection, rejuvenation, secrets, sensitivity, sensuality, sleep, sorrow, spirituality, subconsciousness, unconsciousness
- ACTIVITIES: bathing, swimming, soaking, dreaming (day, lucid, nighttime) drinking, sleeping, cleaning, connecting with the moon